Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My kids are my sunshine!

My kids are, next to Mikey, my favorite thing in the whole wide world! They make me smile every day, even when it's snowing like crazy all through the spring.

Truman is goofy, just like his brother and sister. It's so fun to see his personality coming out! The boy is hilarious and wonderful. There is nothing like Truman's smile when he's happy to see you, nothing like the hugs he gives from behind when you least expect, nothing like his sweet blue eyes looking into mine and silently telling me that just having my attention right now is enough. His favorite things are: waking up with Andrew in the morning, seeing his daddy after work, being chased and tickled, socks and shoes, and his dinosaur, "Saur."

Evie is my crazy girl. I didn't know she could, but she seems to be getting even more wild. Still, she brings femininity into my life like I've never experienced before- she loves nail polish, sparkly things, being a princess, and cute dresses, so I have learned to be girly with her. She also loves getting her hair wet to make it curly, telling stories (she tells us her bedtime story most nights!), pretending with Andrew, coloring, playing with gak (she calls it Goob), and talking on the phone.
Andrew is my big sweet guy. He is wild as can be, being a five year old boy- running and yelling and generally causing a raucous- but he is also very affectionate and thoughtful. He gives us all our share of hugs and kisses, holds the door like a gentleman, and asks forgiveness whenever I get impatient with him (like tonight when he jumped on my back for a hug and I told him not to EVER jump on my back when I'm pregnant because it really huts, he just sat down and said, "Do you forgive me, mom?"). Andrew loves superheroes, his siblings, making new friends (whose names he never remembers), having special time with just mom or dad, and doing tricks- including making a lightning show for me with the static in his pillow at night, jumping down the stairs into the beanbag chair, and blowing bubbles with the aforementioned gak.
Sometimes I don't feel like a very good mom. Because I need a nap EVERY DAY, because I hate the cold and refuse to play outside with my kids in it, because I tell them "just a minute" and forget what they asked for way too often, because I have looked back at the end of so many days and wondered why I didn't take the time to enjoy them more. Tonight I was having one of those times, and I decided to look at the pictures on our camera. This one stood out to me.  A couple weeks ago while Mikey was out with the guys, we decided to have a party. We had pancakes with berries and finger jello and kiwifruit picnic style in the family room while we all watched a movie together and cuddled. At the end of that day Andrew said, "Thanks mom, that was a really fun party." I guess I'm doing okay at least some of the time.

1 comment:

  1. Well friend, if you can manage to do good some of the time I think you will be surprised. I always tell my parents how much I love and appreciate them. They really were some of the best parents I think. Here's the point, whenever I tell them how wonderful they are and how grateful I am for the way they raised me they ALWAYS tell me they wished they had done better. I think both of them, but especially my mom, feels like there were a lot of times when they really weren't the best of parents. All the times they were stressed out or snapped at us. Time has a way of letting you forget the hard times and what stands out, what is left, is the good times. You are both doing great. You can see it in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete