Tuesday, July 21, 2009

MHR: The Handyman

Once I was writing my grandma's life history and I asked her what she admired about her husband.  She told me it was that he could fix or fake just about anything.  She said despite his lack of education he was smart about those things and had saved them a lot of money. 

That's something I took for granted growing up-- like his father, my dad could fix everything himself.  He didn't buy a lot of new stuff or pay someone to do things for him, he just figured it out on his own.  If he didn't have the parts or the tools, he'd find a way to rig something up. (Or he'd call Grandpa and they'd work on it together).   

Mikey is super smart and frugal just like my dad and my grandpa, and just like I would expect a man to be.  It's not until recent years I realized this isn't totally normal.  Lots of guys don't know how to do things like fix a toilet or a sprinkler system, put in a garbage disposal or dishwasher, or replace a damaged pipe in the plumbing (all of which Mikey has had to do in the past year or so).  I'm so glad Mikey can do all this.  He has saved us a lot of money and a lot of trouble, and honestly, I think he's more manly for it.

Oh, and last month I had written a list of things I needed to remember to ask Mikey to do, and before I had mentioned it, he found the list and completed  all of it, plus a couple other things I hadn't written.  What a great guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment