Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nights Off

Being a mother of four is both elating and completely, unbelievably exhausting.  I love my kids to pieces, but I can't describe how mind-numbingly wiped out I am at the end of so many days.  By the time my kids are in bed and I now have the time to do all those can't-do-it-when-the-kids-are-around kind of projects, I just want to lapse into a coma instead.  And the process of actually putting them to bed really seems to put me over the edge from somewhat tired to don't-even-think-about-asking-me-to-do-another-thing-today wiped out.  That's when I'm thankful for my nights off.  Michael lets me go out every Thursday with a good friend of mine from the ward, putting the kids to bed himself and not worrying when we talk until 1am or so because we never seem to run out of things to say or even be able to shut up long enough to watch a movie when we're together.  Just that one night a week when I don't have to do the exhausting bedtime stuff and when I can just talk to another woman does wonders.  

And then there are bonus days, like yesterday, when I just really don't seem to be able to make it through the evening stuff, and my sweet husband kindly tells the kids to kiss me goodnight and sends me to bed while he handles the rest.  So I listen to my sweet little family bonding and having a good time with their amazing daddy.  He reads to them even though he hates to read, makes up a great bedtime story, sings them a song, prays with them, and kisses them all goodnight while I eavesdrop from a nice hot bath in the other room.

Thanks for making my life easier and doing a great job of it, Mikey.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment