So, I am really good at being pregnant, I discovered. I don't have much (if any) morning sickness. I also look pretty freaking hot, I think--I don't get stretch marks or varicose veins. I do, however, get impatient. At the end of my pregnancies, I always do a lot of stupid, crazy things to try to induce labor. And, truth be told, just to see if I can. Let me, for example, tell you about my day today. I spent my last saturday as a mother of two doing things most mothers of two stopped doing long ago because it's childish and crazy, and, after having two kids, there's a high risk of peeing your pants. I got up this morning and tried to start the day normally, but after a couple of hours of moving and unpacking boxes, I got bored and decided ten days overdue is too long.
When jumping for a long time didn't give me any contractions to speak of, I decided to go for a jog. That's right, I went for a jog. I put on my sports bra and tank top, which is unable to cover my belly at this point, along with something called a "belly band" for a little extra support as I was jarring myself, and started running laps around the house. My husband encouraged this and came out to watch, sitting in our kiddie pool, shouting, "Go, Jamie, go!" every time I passed. This didn't give me any contractions either.
So we went for a ride in his pickup. We took the bumpiest roads we could find and went off a lot of curbs, then we did some figure-eights in a church parking lot. That gave me a few small contractions occasionally, but apparently I'm not only good at being pregnant, I'm good at staying that way.
Then I came home and, after taking a bath in our new jetted tub, I was starting to have regular contractions. They weren't hard ones, but we were feeling like all the random contractions during the day must have at least helped me progress to being dilated to four, which is when a friend told me they no longer send you home. So we decided to confidently go to the hospital, despite my underlying feeling that being in labor should hurt more than this. They, of course, sent us home. I did start having hard contractions by the time we left, though. They just weren't regular or close together.
Now it's 5am and I'm up counting contractions (the hard ones are still like half an hour apart) because I'm too excited to sleep and pretty sure I should be having the baby in the next 24 hours at least.
I'm glad, too, because I was beginning to lose faith in all the self-induced labor advice I've come across on the internet. I'd hate to think I have no control over when the baby comes...
Oh Jamie, how I love you. I am so happy for you. And I am happy that posted to my blog in the middle of the night WHILE IN LABOR. I love the picture of you jumping on the tramp. Can I come down and help you decorate? And see the new baby? Just tell me when. I don't want to come too soon or anything... Yay!
ReplyDeleteYou should have tried sex. Lots and lots of sex.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS, by the way!
ReplyDeleteGo Jamie, Go, Go Jamie, Go! Hilarious. I would have been jumping on the tramp too, as it is fun, and I would have been tired of being pregnant. You are fantastic!
ReplyDeleteActually, Rach, we did. I just didn't want to embarrass Nick.
ReplyDeleteOH...MY...HECK!!!! Do you realize that I, YOUR FATHER, read this?!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOO embarrassed. It's like, oh my heck, not only do my children talk about Bxxbs, they talk about having...the "S" word!!! Oh, I will not be sleeping tonight, If I had a grave, I would roll over in it!!!!!! Y que pasa con el Espanol en el BLOG? "Nick dijo" y todo eso? How would I have ever signed up if I didn't speak Spanish?
ReplyDeleteDad, I'm sorry I embarrassed you. It's funny reading that comment though because I can hear you saying it. But i don't know what you're talking about with the Spanish.
ReplyDelete