Monday, September 24, 2007

The things you'll do for your grandparents...

So on our trip to Shelley for Spud Day this year (my decision to go was made official when my grandma mentioned on Evie's birthday card that they were looking forward to seeing us then), my grandpa had a little train engine he made out of an old lawnmower and a kind of trolley car to pull behind it; then they decorated it all up for Spud Day. They planned to have certain members of their posterity represent the family by riding on it in the parade. Those certain members were also expected to wear potato sacks over their heads like clothing.

My first reaction was, "Great! That will be fun for the kids. It'll be cute." Then I was informed that I was to be one of those lucky burlap-clad individuals... I had to rethink this. I did it, though, without even mentioning that I'd had second thoughts. Because my grandparents wanted me to. My dad did it too, so that made me feel a little better. Actually, I was surprised to realize I wasn't even embarrassed riding around in front of my entire home town with a bunch of little kids and wearing a gunny-sack-- I was wondering if I should be embarrassed that I wasn't embarrassed.

It turned out pretty good: We waved. The kids threw candy. Evie dropped candy. I picked it up and threw it for her so no one would get ran over. And we won first prize. My grandpa looked pretty proud-- it was cute. I think he was more excited that someone thought he did an awesome job than about the hundred bucks he got as part of the prize. But then that probably just reimbursed him for the money he spent to do it in the first place.

Here's a picture of the train-- I'm the one walking behind, dodging horse poop and picking up candy to re-throw.

Here's a good look at my kids in their "costumes."

No comments:

Post a Comment