Sunday, October 24, 2010

Because we can can can!

I think I tend to be a bit of a control freak.  I'm a compulsive planner and list writer, when I find I have free time, I automatically choose to clean and "accomplish" things, and I tend to put chores before fun. Well, my children are teaching me, very slowly, to let go a little, and while my house might be a little messier on certain days I'd say that for the most part, it's been a really good thing.  
We invited friends, Matthew and Megan over for a "dress up parade" around the block.  It took like 20 minutes to get ready for that 5 minute walk, but the kids were thrilled.  Plus, it was really just the kicker for a couple hours' play time with friends.

When I was a kid, I remember thinking, "Man, mom and dad are so lucky, they can do whatever they want!"  While of course now I have seen it's a little more complicated than that, I wish I remembered more often that freedom I saw so clearly as a kid: I am an adult now, and to some extent that means I can do whatever I want!  So, this summer I tried to let myself indulge in that knowledge a little more.
We spent a LOT of time on the trampoline.  I found that whenever things got tense or frustrating or just kind of boring I could break it up a little by inviting one of my kids to come jump with me.

It has taken some effort for me to purposely walk away from the half-swept floor and the soaking dishes to just play with my kids.  And I have certain neuroses about having friends over or going places without planning it in advance.  But there is something to be said for doing things just because we can.  
The control freak in me had trouble letting the kids use the hose freely like this, but nothing bad happened, and they had a good time.  Sometimes I'm really proud of myself simply for allowing a mess to be made.

This one was actually just last week.  The weather was nice, so instead of worrying about making dinner, cleaning up, etc. after school, I took the kids to Community park to make and fly paper planes.  It was another "Best day" of Andrew's life.  That always makes me feel good.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Judy. I have a funny story to add to this, but I think I'll make an actual post out of it.

    ReplyDelete