Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Happenings of 2010

Wow, it's been such a long time since I've blogged it's going to be really hard to fill in.

We are still teaching primary, with pretty much the same kids-- turns out we would have only had like 3 kids in our class, and the older boys class would have ended up with two fighting sets of brothers, so they held our class back another year!  The kids were pretty disappointed at not getting to split up the boys and girls, but they like us so it turned out okay.

For our anniversary, Mikey had to shoot a video in Salt Lake, so his boss paid for us to go down there early together and celebrate before the shoot (the morning they filmed, I drove back home and he stayed for another night or two).  We mostly walked around downtown and just relaxed together, and it was nice.

I quit my job at the YMCA and started my own business.  I've been kind of stagnated on it, though, by my inability to sell myself.  I am still struggling with this, but I've had a couple clients and need to just overcome fear through action I think.

Andrew graduated from Kindergarten at Edgemont.  He played sick so many times that we decided it was a good idea to try a new school, so when a new Montessori charter school opened here, we got him in, and we're really thankful for that chance because he loves school so much more this year.










Sam turned one.  I let him eat cake batter before the cake that night.
With Sam I have learned a lot about not being a control freak-- to just relax and enjoy things.  He is a blessing in that way and many others.

We went camping several times.  Once we went to Preston and camped with Michael's brothers for a week.  It was AMAZING.  Albert Moser campground in Cache National Forest is really a good one.
Truman's Dirty Camping Face
  I did a bunch of running.  Because I was training for a marathon, I had the chance to fill in for a Ragnar Relay team at the last minute.  I met the people I ran with the day we drove down to Utah, and spent the following four days with them-- most of it crammed in a smallish SUV covered in sweat.  Talk about learning to make friends quickly!
My Ragnar Relay Team: Katie, Chipper Chard (Brandon), Dave, Anna, Doug, Roger, The other van's driver (don't know his name), Brian (he's not really naked!), Me, Sheryl, and Sharon.  Not pictured: Johanna, Joe (our driver), and someone else I think is missing, but I can't think of who it is right now.
The marathon was fun too-- I ran about 13 minutes slower than I hoped, but I made a new friend and I finished feeling like I did my best.

Michael lost his job in August.  After the initial kick in the face of this unexpected job loss, we both agreed that it was a blessing: he really has been wanting to find a way to move on anyway.  Now he's doing freelance and slowly building that up while working as adjunct faculty at BYU--Idaho.  We have been surprisingly low-stress about it and believe things are going to be great very soon in this area.  This experience and my ability to handle it has made me grateful for our struggles in Utah, and for the Dave Ramsey program we had started.  We had money in the bank and were working hard on paying debts off, and more than anything we had a calm presence of mind for the situation when it came.




Next week, blogging should be a bit easier...

No comments:

Post a Comment