Sunday, January 11, 2009

January 8th, 2009: No regrets day

There aren't very many days when I feel like I just might have done most things right, with my kids especially, during the day.  But last week I had a day like this, and at the end of the day when I realized it, I wrote this:

Today I spent a lot of time on the floor playing K'Nex.  Then making cookies.  Then reading picture books.  It's the most time I've spent really paying attention to my kids in so long!  The K'Nex got boring, and my mouth got twisted up reading all those crazy, rhyming words, [we only made one pan of cookies so I didn't have time to get tired of it], but I kept thinking that someday I'm going to really miss all this and my only real regrets are going to be in not spending enough time really being with my kids, without rushing or being somewhere else mentally.  That thought was enough to keep me playing there most of the day pretty happily, enough to make me drop what I was doing whenever my kids asked, just because they "want me," and enough t keep me from thinking much about what wasn't getting done.  Strangely enough, I was still able to get more done (besides nurturing my kids and giving my heart something to grin about) than I have in a long time.

1 comment: